Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Another Damn Fishing Post

Early Spring, or pre-runoff, as it is known around around here, has been a fun time for this fishing bum. The rivers are showing signs of life; rainbows are spawning in many watersheds and the first of the mayflies and caddis are emerging to the surface as water temps climb. However, a few real warm days strung together usually means dirty water this time of the year, and the trick has been fishing around these conditions. It's been fun, doing a little extra homework before setting out for a trip. I was fortunate enough to fish the Yellowstone just before the most recent "mud plug" rolled through, and we happened upon some stunning spring browns, all on streamers. They wanted black the first day, and were just as picky about yellow the next. Weird critters...

T-Rav proving that climbers can catch fish. 








Nort and I have been exploring other less famous freestones as well. As fun as floating is, my heart has always lent itself to smaller streams and walk/wade techniques. The below photos are from a smaller trib to the Stone. 


Sculpin Hunter
Lastly, I got jonesed for some spring creek fishing the other day while thinking of spring back in Wisconsin, so I made a trek with the hound up to some Montana spring creeks. They didn't disappoint, though did kick my ass. I managed a lot of missed fish on streamers, a few rainbows on nymphs, and a couple more on baetis emergers. Nothing big, but these fish captivated me with their style instead.











No comments:

Post a Comment